Sunday, July 25, 2010

Pioneer Children Sang as They Walked and Walked and Walked

Church was really good today. We sang Come, Come Ye Saints and I guess that I’ve been thinking a lot about the trials that the pioneers went through since Taylor has gone on Trek. It made me think of all of those that perished at Martin's Cove. The fourth verse really made me think about how many people gave their lives in the early days of the church. I loved these words…

And should we die before our journey’s through,
Happy day! All is well!
We then are free from toil and sorrow, too;
With the just we shall dwell!

But if our lives are spared again
To see the Saints their rest obtain,
Oh, how we’ll make this chorus swell—
All is well! All is well!

Those pioneers - my ancestors - had such a great belief in the restoration of the gospel.  I am so proud to be part of that heritage!  I am very proud of the fact that many of my ancestors were some of the very early members of the church and were personally associated with the prophet Joseph Smith.  What a great honor!

I was especially touched by the little children in Primary today, as well. I filled in for the regular pianist so I spent most of my time doing that. The kids sang one of my favorite Primary songs – Pioneer Children Sang as They Walked. They have just recently learned the song and even though the junior primary kids are still so young, it was amazing how quickly they’ve learned the song.

As they sang, it filled my heart to hear them sing this song with such fervor. These little ones really don’t truly understand the heartache and trials that the pioneers and pioneer children went through - yet. Someday they will and this song will have more meaning to them. Either way, I was so touched listening to them.

No comments: