Saturday, August 21, 2010

Time to Head Home

I can't believe it's over...although it feels right for it to be time for it to be over.  I'm ready to get back to the routine.  We decided yesterday to drive to Toledo and stay in a hotel there instead of staying with Kris and Jim again.  Not because we didn't want to stay with them, but because we had a feeling that it would be better for us to be a little further down the road for the drive today.  We are glad we did.  It was better for us to sleep in this morning and then motor on down the road 3 hours rather than drive 6 hours and have to get up early.  So, we booked a room at the Staybridge Suites in Maumee and stopped there for the night.  The room was very nice!  It was a little suite with a kitchen and everything.  We'll have to remember those kind of hotels for our trips.  They will definitely cut down on food costs because we can go to the store and buy groceries and cook on our own...not that that is what I like to do on vacation, but it's a thought!

We left Maumee around 9:15 this morning and headed out.  Somewhere along the way, we got on a wrong road and had to get off and turn around.  We drove for a while and then decided to stop for breakfast at Bob Evans...FINALLY. 


I'd never been there before in all the times I'd been to Ohio so I was looking forward to it.  Melon Man stopped off at the restroom and the waitress showed me to our table.  I was so consumed at looking at the menu that it wasn't until Melon Man came to the table and pointed out the Amish family 3 tables over that I saw them.


I am fascinated with the Amish way of life - Melon Man can't understand why and I can't understand him as to why not.  While on our trip, I knew there would be a lot of Amish towns/farms along the way and I've wanted to go to an Amish town or see a bunch of Amish people but I never did except the two old farmers the day we were driving up to the island through Mio.  So, consequently, I was enthralled by this family sitting here eating breakfast in this restaurant.  I started thinking to myself and wondering...wait...I didn't see a buggy in the parking lot with all the cars...are they a reformed order?  Do they drive cars?  I then saw them drive away in a green van with a couple of coolers on a little shelf trailer on the back of the van.  Maybe they are on a long journey.  Maybe these particular folks do drive cars.  Who knows... I talked to the waitress about it and she said that a few miles from her home there is a large community of Amish.  She said that there are about 8 different levels of Amish from very relaxed to very strict.  This must have been a medium or more relaxed group.  Anyway, I was glad to see them so close up.  I really wanted to grab out my camera and take a bunch of pictures, but I know that offends them so I didn't.  I found the above pictures on Google images, instead.

We finished up our breakfast, which I didn't take pictures of, and soon we were on our way again.  The food was average - nothing spectacular - unfortunately - but I would eat there again when I go to Ohio the next time. 

We drove for a bit and soon there was a division in the highway.  We followed the sign for the 23 highway and within a couple of minutes, Melon Man was again asking me, "Are we on the right road?"  Huh?  Not again!  This time, I decided I'd try the Garmin.  I'd messed around with the Garmin yesterday and it would turn on but then shut off so maybe the battery power was what was running it the other day when it stopped working rather than the plug power.  I plugged it in and it worked!  I found where we were and luckily, we were on the right road.

Soon, we were coming into Columbus and the phone rang.  Lisa had gone and picked up Dog from the PetsHotel today and said he was very happy.  He was a little unsure of getting into her SUV, but she finally got him in.  She was talking to us as we were coming into Columbus and said he was crying.  She put me on speaker and I talked to him and he stopped crying.  I hope he will forgive us for keeping him in the kennel for 8 days!  He's going to play at Lisa's until we get there.  He will love that and he'll be in a familiar place, so that will be good.  I can't wait to see him!  Doodles apparently has been having a grand time at Auntie's house.  He's been cuddling up with everyone and playing with little John.  I'm looking forward to having both dogs back with us!


Right now we're sitting in the Port Columbus Airport, hanging out.  Melon Man is sitting here at the table, sleeping with his head drooping down.  We got here at 1 p.m. and our flight is not until 4 p.m. so we have a while still to just hang out.  We fly to Dallas and then on to Phoenix.  I figured this is a great time to get caught up on some blogging, so that's what I'm doing.

I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to come on this trip.  I have truly loved Michigan and if it weren't so cold in the winter and such a poor economy here, I would jump on the opportunity to move here.  It was fun seeing Melon Man's family and getting to spend time with them as well.  I hope we can visit again soon!

No comments: