Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

Today is Father's Day.  Wasn't sure that my dad would even be home so I could call him.  He's been down at the property for a couple weeks and I had no idea when he was coming home.  I did try him late in the evening and he was actually at Julie's so we spent a few minutes talking.

Earlier in the day, Melon Man and I went to church.  Sister Ritman gave the BEST talk I've ever heard on fathers.  It was truly inspiring and phenomenal.

Since we had celebrated Father's Day at Linda and Dave's yesterday with everyone, we didn't really make anything special for dinner today.  I asked Melon Man what he wanted and he said he would be fine with hot dogs and macaroni and cheese.  I was cool with that.  So, that's what we had.

Later in the evening, I was going through some mail.  In it, I found two items that really made me step back and think.  The first was this one....
The second one was this....
The first one is our church magazine and this issue contained all of the talks from our leaders that were given at "General Conference" in April.  The second one is a mailer from the church located on the corner here in our community.  We get these kinds of mailers from them about once a month or so...same thing with our church magazine - an issue a month.

The first thing I noticed was the peaceful feeling I got when looking at the cover of our magazine.  When I looked at the mailer, I knew immediately which church it was from without even reading the name on the cover.  It was just the look and feel.  They always try to do something that appeals to certain groups of folks to try to get them there.  A car show on Sunday....which happens to also be Father's Day....yes, that's what they do.

In the first one, I saw pictures like this....a group of youth who chose to trek through the wilderness as the pioneers did, rather than spending a week playing video games or laying around, so they could draw closer to Christ...
And a talk on guarding our virtue...
and...a picture of our prophet and president of the church...
In the second one, I saw pictures like this....their pastor, looking like a tough guy in his muscle/Harley shirt...the topics of the month's sermons - what men/women wish you knew about them, how to deal with toxic relationships, affair-proofing your life (not marriage - but "life" - as in you don't HAVE to get married - just live together), and how to handle failing relationships. Oh, and don't forget the motorcycle for the biker crowd...
Now, please don't take me the wrong way.  Bikers are fine people.  And I'm sure car lovers are too.  But, to advertise this for church just seems wrong to me.  And the sermon topics?  What happened to talking about Christ and his Atonement for us?  What about studying his life and how to be more like him?  When we truly become followers of Christ, these topics really aren't necessary.  I was just so taken aback by this promotion...

I started to get tears in my eyes and Melon Man asked me why I was crying.  I explained that my tears were tears of gladness, but also of sorrow.  I was glad that I belong to a church that advocates virtue, honesty, modesty, protection of our bodies, the priesthood, eternal families, and the like.  I was sad, however, that we are made fun of because of these beliefs and that there are so many people in the world that don't see the benefit of these things but rather choose to tattoo up their bodies, wear immodest clothing so everyone can see their bodies, put harmful substances into their bodies, and more.  I still had my Ensign open to this picture of the young women as I looked at the mailer from the other church.
...and this one...of the youth that attend the other church.
I had the "For the Strength of Youth" pamphlet sitting right there too and saw this picture...we actually teach our youth how to dress modestly.
My heart was full as I contrasted the pictures of the youth.  One group has the light of Christ in their countenance - the other doesn't. 

It was truly an enlightening few minutes.  It made me even happier that I have chosen this life and this church I am in.  I hope that my countenance shows the light of Christ when others see me and that I can be an example to them that they might also want to choose this way.

1 comment:

Casey Lu said...

I totally hear you on this! I always laugh at their fliers because I know what is behind their doors and show. Ehren and I a few years back attended the second church and saw first hand the stuff that went on behind closed doors at that church and the people. How the pastor himself fired or "let go" another pastor because his wife, had an affair with another pastor, then a couple years later the main pastor that let all of them go, had an affair on his own wife with his assistant and is still there. He makes fun of other religions and judges others. After being there and seeing what people in that church act, do, and say, when they aren't up on that stage is completely different from how my family chose to live our life and join the LDS church. I can honestly say that after almost seven years in our church wards, everyone strives to be kind, helpful, Christ like, and how everyone at our church is how they strive to be in their everyday life. I am by no means judging the other people at that church but I would rather go when I see and feel the Light of Christ everyday in and out especially when we are not paid for our callings but are called to serve on a voluntarily basis until he feels we have fulfilled what he has asked. But, most for the fact that we serve our fellow man in love then just for show. You are so on the money with what the other church portrays. It makes me think of a saying scripture wise I have heard of about how We can't serve two masters and then another on how you will know them by their fruits. I know first hand what that church's fruits are and I rather have the REAL nourishing fruit then the false fruit. It is truly a shame and saddening for them. But thankful that we chose what was best for our family.