Tuesday, July 19, 2011

5 x 24 x This x That = A Lot

A few weeks ago, after Mutual one night, we had an impromptu meeting to discuss the upcoming activities.  I suggested making greeting cards and so we agreed that would be a fun activity for the girls.  I said I'd pull all the kits together - no problem.

So, somehow, the weeks have flown by and I realized last week that that specific night is quickly approaching and I hadn't started working on them yet.  No biggie.  I'll work on them on Sunday evening, I thought.  Um yeah, didn't happen exactly like that.  Of course, we came home from church on Sunday, I made some yummy spaghetti, we ate, we fell asleep.  I asked Melon Man to wake me up after 30 minutes, and he tried, but I was just too exhausted to wake up.  I tried and tried, but only after 2 hours or so was I able to.  So, finally, it was kind of late in the evening and I went in the scrapbook room and started my quest of pulling together ideas for 5 cute cards for 24 girls.  (I'm not even sure exactly how many girls there are, but I think that should be enough.)

I went through my boxes of greeting cards.  Could only find one that I sort of thought would be good.  What?  I think these are way cute cards normally.  Why couldn't I find five that would work?  Don't know.  Maybe Heavenly Father just thought they were too commercial.  Or, maybe He thought the girls needed something different.  He does that a lot with me in my endeavors with the youth.  He just guides me to what is best for them - like the camp stuff last year, like the prom stuff, like the water bottles. 

Anyway, I looked through some cardmaking books I had and found some really cute examples.  I came back into the office and began designing some of the elements for them.  It's amazing...the cards will be similar, but they won't be the same - and I'm okay with that - and they will be just as cute as the examples.  Then, I began pulling together all the elements that would be needed for the cards.  I had to pick patterned paper and cardstock and ribbon and inks and adhesives and brads and pins and paint and flowers and scissors and this and that.  I was now especially worried that I wouldn't have enough time to get all these kits pulled together before we go on a little jaunt to see the fam for Jonah's ordination based on my current work schedule, so I packed it all in a travel box as I went along.  I figured I could work on some parts of it in the truck as we motored along, then work on them some more while there and again on the way home and I'd probably be good.  But, of course, my plan is to try to get them done before we go.

So, last night after I got home after the haboob and the fat rain,  I went in and started cutting and trimming and scoring and folding and what not.  I packaged up as I went along as best as I could in groups of like items, etc.  I worked on it all for about 4.5 hours and then finally went to bed around 11:30.  I did get a lot done though.  I wish I would have been able to come home tonight and work on it though but I didn't even get home until almost 11 p.m. and I decided to hurry and read email, check a couple of blogs (what's going on lately - hardly any of our family is updating their blogs anymore), and then post a couple quicky posts to the blog.

Who would have thought 24 of this and 24 of that times this many times that many would be so much? Not me. It's okay though...I'm happy I get to do it. I hope the girls will really like them.

2 comments:

Casey Lu said...

Yeah, your using some of your scrappy stuff!!! Sounds like some neat cards, you will have to post a picture of a completed card!!

Cindy said...

Oooh. Can't wait to see how they turned out. You always do such darling things.