Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Does He Come First?

Today was the first day of our meetings.  We got some good updates and gained a lot of insight about Matt and Jen and what drives them, how they handle work and home life, etc.  There were a couple of things I thought deeply about while I was sitting there listening to them...

One.  What three words would I use to describe myself?  This has always been a hard one for me - kind of like the question "What are your strengths and weaknesses?"  I thought about it and there were two that came pretty quickly - Dedicated and Integrity.  But, I couldn't really think of a third.  Why?  I don't know.  I just couldn't.  Maybe I will eventually.

Two.  There was a point where Matt and Jen both talked about their families and how with their busy schedules, they try to show their families that they come first.  I about lost it.  I almost began crying.  But...I fought it.  It would not have been appropriate in that environment.  I wrote this in my notebook..."Does [Melon Man] come first?  No."  My heart broke.  For 6-1/2 years, I have put the man I love with all my heart, second behind my work.  I felt horrible.  I just stared at the words on the page.  I need to make him come first.  Him.

I thought about those things for quite a while, while others gave their presentations.  I will work at making him come first.  I will.

Soon it was time for lunch and then we headed out to Johnstown to go to Woodhaven Farm for our team building event.  I'd been to Woodhaven a couple of years ago.  It's always a fun experience.  Today we made pita chips with a cheese dip, a boursin type cheese bruschetta with sauteed portabello mushroom, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, haricot vert with carmelized onions, and marinated rosemary chicken and pork tenderloin, along with a carmel apple bread pudding and 4 chocolate brownies for dessert.  Very yummy.

After we were done, I headed back to the hotel, but first went to Archivers for my annual visit.  I love that store!  I miss scrapbooking so much.  I need to do that for me more - to maintain some sanity.  I found some glitter ribbon and some white iridescent envelopes..oh, and some clear and teal blue bling.
I decided I would make Christmas cards using the glitter ribbon and bling.  Well, as I was walking back to the hotel, I met one of the girls from home who was also here for the meeting and she asked me what I'd bought.  I showed her and explained what I was going to do and then all of a sudden I decided to go back to the store and get some scissors, cardstock, and adhesive and start working on them in my room - otherwise they may never get done!  So, I headed back in and got the additional supplies then headed up to my room.  I worked on TWO cards for almost TWO hours.  What was I thinking?!?  I'm not even sure I like them.  It's not finished, but this is what one of the cards looks like.  It's based on the colors we used for Christmas Eve last year.
I'm sure I'll figure out what else to do to make it better, but that's what I did tonight.  Should have worked...but you know...sometimes I just need "me" time.  It's 12:30 a.m. now and I've got to go to bed...

No comments: