Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Eve Eve

Today was cleaning day.  Holly started around 9:15 or so and I took her home around 1:15.  Always nice to have the dog hair and dust gone!

I dropped the Secret Santa gifts off at the Bishop's house on the way home and spent some time visiting with their family.  Then, it was back home to stay on schedule.  I thought about it today...during the month of December, I always keep a notebook of each day during the month and what has to happen on which days in order to make everything work (ward Christmas party, work, Christmas Eve, shopping, shipping, present making/buying, etc.).  Then, as we approach Christmas Eve, the 24-48 hour countdown begins and things go from a daily basis to an hourly basis.  As it stands now, I know what time I'll be out the door in the morning to go buy the meats for our Christmas Eve dinner, what time I'll pick up the bread, what time I'll shower, and what time we'll eat, along with a host of other "what time"s there will need to be to make it all go off okay.  That's just the kind of freak I am - but it helps keep me on task and on schedule so I'm not exasperated when everyone gets here.

Over the years, I've also learned to make my Clam Chowder in the mid-afternoon rather than when folks are about to arrive or after they've arrived.  It just works out better that way.  People aren't sitting around waiting to eat, there is no stress of trying to hurry it along, and it actually cools down just enough that it thickens up nicely and doesn't burn your tongue when you attempt to eat it.  Sure, I keep it hot enough that it's still safe, but this way works out so much better for me.  I remember growing up, we ate so late because Mom usually had to work on Christmas Eve and then come home and make dinner.  Even now, I think my family still eats quite late sometimes.  We usually eat around 5:30 or 6 p.m. and that works for me.

So, after I dropped off the gifts, I came home and worked on cleaning off the kitchen table so I could set it.  And...I made 6 dozen "suicide" cookies for Melon Man to take to work tonight to share.  They are SO good.  Here's the recipe......

MELON MAN'S SUICIDE COOKIES

1 c margarine or butter
1/2 c sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
1 egg
2 t vanilla
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 c unsifted flour
1-1/3 c assorted chips (chocolate, mint chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch, peppermint, toffee, white chocolate - you choose what chips you want - we like these, except maybe the peanut butter)
Blend the margarine and sugars together until creamy.  Add vanilla and egg; beat well.  Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture.  Mix well.  Add chips.  Mix well.
Using a 1-1/4 inch round scoop (ice cream scoop, melon baller, whatever), spoon dough onto ungreased cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.  Bake at 375* for 8-10 minutes.  Makes approximately 3-1/2 dozen cookies.
You can tell from this picture that this recipe is well used.  These cookies taste SO good.  The combination of flavors is incredible!
Melon Man was happy when he woke up that the cookies were done and he could take them to share with his friends at work.

I can't believe tomorrow is Christmas Eve.  Where has the time gone?  I just barely got the tree decorated and the ladder taken out to the garage today!

1 comment:

Breanna said...

Thanks for the recipe!