Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Last Day of 2011...

Melon Man and I got out the door this morning about 8:45.  We headed to The Coral for breakfast, then off to Tempe we went to go to Ikea ("Ikea:  Swedish for Crap" --Melon Man) to get the stuff for the new scrapboffice (say it:  scra-boff-iis).

We got a good parking spot - hallelujah - other wise it's a hike in and then back out again - and we proceeded inside.  I knew I had a limited amount of time in the store before ornery Melon Man would rear his ugly head, so I tried to be prepared before we went.  I knew exactly how many Expedit 2x4s and 1x5s we would need, along with how many Alex 5 and 9 drawer cabinets, and storage cabinets we would need.  That would surely save some time, right?  Wrong.  Upon walking into the store, I immediately remembered why I really don't like GOING to Ikea...it's huge, they force you to walk every dang department by "flowing" you through the store, and you have to load everything onto your cart yourself and that stuff is HEAVY!

I told the girl at the entrance, "I know exactly what I want, just help me get to the spot where the boxes are."  Well, she explained we'd need to go upstairs to the showroom first, find the items we were looking for, get the aisle and bin numbers, write them on the back of the "map", and then head down to the boxed items area.  Great.

So, we headed upstairs.  I found a couple of the items, in black and birch, not white, of course, which I needed, but I wrote the locations down anyway hoping the white wouldn't be far from the black or birch downstairs.  Then, we mozied to find the restrooms and Melon Man wanted some swedish meatballs.  So he went to their restaurant and got some and got me some water.  We sat and talked, worked out some calculations for the countertops, I got up and went and actually looked at the countertops - glad I did - I would have ended up getting a different one that I wouldn't have liked as much if I hadn't.  I decided against the table tops which were much cheaper than the countertops, but I really think the extra investment in the countertops will be worth it.  I found the chairs I'm going to get for the room as well, but I knew it will take a while to get the room put together so I decided not to get them today.

Here's a storyboard of the actual items we'll be putting into the room:


At first, I was going to do the "metal effect" countertops, but once I saw it against the "mineral effect," I knew I had to change my mind.  They just looked so much nicer!

So, we headed down and found all of our boxes, paid (with Melon Man asking how much all of this was costing - I'd already told him a couple days ago but without the cost of the countertops and tax), waited for the countertops to be pulled, and then Melon Man went to get the truck.  The dudes at Ikea loaded everything into the truck for us, Melon Man tied it all down, and off we went, heading for home.

When we got home, I offered to pay some young men from the ward to unload it all for us, but Melon Man didn't want to fork out the money so we were going to do it all.  Luckily, our neighbor pulled in just as we were getting started and she went and asked her hubby to help us.  Lickety split, 1-2-3, Melon Man and Rosey were done.  I carried the countertop legs.  Big whoop, I know.  Now, our living room looks like this:






So, now on Monday, I will begin the fun task of relocating a bunch of stuff from the scrapbook room into the office (um yeah, where?) so we can move the monster over to the other wall.  Also...I have to take one of the countertop pieces back to Ikea on Monday - I should have gotten 2 large pieces and 1 small but I ended up getting the reverse - 2 small and 1 large.  Drat.

I plan on working on the room a little each day so I can get it done as soon as possible.  My goal, work and church calling needs dependent, is to get it all changed over by the end of January.  Luckily, we have another holiday coming up soon so that will be a 3 day weekend and I think I'll take an extra day either Friday or Monday to make it a 4 day-er so I can get a lot done and meet the goal!

Today is New Year's Eve.  Everyone in our "group" is doing their own thing.  At first, I was sad that nobody wanted to come over to BBQ and play games like I'd suggested.  But after everything today, I'm content just doing nothing.  It's almost 8:30 p.m. and I'm going to go wake Melon Man up and suggest we go get pizza and wings.  Then I'll do the program for church and go to bed.

Before I close out this year, I want to record our food storage progress again like I did the last couple of years.  I feel so blessed for following the counsel of our leaders and being able to do this.  This is what we were able to procure this year:


  • 6 Grain Mix - 1 - #10 Can
  • Alta Artisan Unbleached Flour - 100 lb
  • Asian Beef Teriyaki - 1 #10 Can
  • Baking Soda - 1 - #10 Can
  • Banana Chips - 1 - #10 Can
  • Broccoli Cheese Soup - 1 - #10 Can
  • Buttermilk Biscuit Mix - 1 - #10 Can
  • Buttermilk Pancake Mix - 1 - #10 Can
  • Canned Chicken - 12 - 10 oz Cans
  • Chicken Fettucine Alfredo - 1 - #10 Can
  • Chili Mix - 1 - #10 Can
  • Corn Meal - 1 - #10 Can
  • Cream of Chicken Soup Mix - 1 - #10 Can
  • Cream of Mushroom Soup Mix - 1 - #10 Can
  • Creamy Potato Cheese Soup - 1 - #10 Can
  • Dehydrated Carrots - 1 - #10 Can
  • Deyhdrated Refried Beans - 2 - #10 Cans
  • Freeze-Dried Asparagus - 1 - #10 Can
  • Freeze-Dried Bell Peppers - 1 - #10 Can
  • Freeze-Dried Broccoli - 4 - #10 Cans
  • Freeze-Dried Celery - 1 - #10 Can
  • Freeze-Dried Cheddar Cheese - 1 - #10 Can
  • Freeze-Dried Corn - 3 - #10 Can
  • Freeze-Dried Monterrey Jack Cheese - 2 - #10 Cans
  • Freeze-Dried Mozzarella Cheese - 1 - #10 Can
  • Freeze-Dried Mushrooms - 2 - #10 Cans
  • Freeze-Dried Strawberries - 1 - #10 Can
  • Freeze-Dried Zucchini - 2 - #10 Cans
  • Gelatin - Lime - 1 - #10 Can
  • Gelatin - Strawberry - 1 - #10 Can
  • Lawry's Seasoned Salt - 3 Large Bottles
  • Margarine Powder - 2 - #10 Cans
  • Mushrooms - 24 - 8 oz Cans
  • Mustard - 24 - Large Bottles
  • Orange Chicken Teriyaki - 1 - #10 Can
  • Peach Delight - 1 - #10 Can
  • Pepperoni - 1 - #10 Can
  • Pinto Beans - 1 - #10 Can
  • Potato Cheese Soup - 1 - #10 Can
  • Powdered Instant Milk - 5 - #10 Cans
  • Powdered Peanut Butter - 1- #10 Can
  • Powdered Shortening - 3 - #10 Cans
  • Ramen - 48 packages
  • Rancher Freeze-Dried Scrambled Eggs - 1 - #10 Can
  • SAF Instant Yeast - 2 - 1 lb Bags
  • Sausage TVP - 1 - #10 Can
  • Scone Mix - 1 - #10 Can
  • Scrambled Egg Mix - 3 - #10 Cans
  • Shirley J Pizza/Pasta Seasoning - 2 - 8 oz Containers
  • Shirley J Sourdough Bread Mix - 4 lb Bag
  • Small Can Freeze-Dried Blueberries
  • Sour Cream Powder - 1 - #10 Can
  • Sourdough Bread Mix - 1 - #10 Can
  • Sugar - 25 lbs
  • Tomato Powder - 3 - #10 Cans
  • TVP Beef Chunks - 1 - #10 Can
  • TVP Chicken Chunks - 1 - #10 Can
  • Water Barrel - 1 - 300 Gallons
  • Water Barrel - 2 - 100 Gallons Each
  • Whole Eggs - 5 - #10 Cans


It's been a LONG year.  In one way, I'm glad it's over.  In another, I can't believe it actually is over and another year is starting.  Drat.  Oh well.  I have some ideas and plans for this year to make it better...not resolutions, but actual goals and plans, in no particular order:

Work less
Get the scrapboffice done
Get the guest room done
Sew the drapes for the living room
Spend quality time with Melon Man
Go to the temple often
Get back on Atkins or South Beach and lose weight
Spend time doing things we/I like to do
Go to San Diego for a mini-vaykay soon...sounds like a nice birthday trip
Be happy

Out with the old me, in with the new, happy me.  In the words of President Monson...

Have a positive attitude
Believe in yourself
Face challenges with courage

I know 2012 CAN be a great year.  It WILL be a great year.  I just have to make changes to make it great!

No comments: