Saturday, February 4, 2012

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

My Melon Man makes THE FREAKINEST BESTEST EVER sausage biscuits and gravy - FROM SCRATCH.  Well...okay, the biscuits aren't from scratch, but the gravy is.  We could make the biscuits too, but why?  Pillsbury does a great job at those, so that's what we use.

Every time Melon Man makes the sausage gravy, I want to watch and learn, but then I'm like...why?  If only he knows how to do it, then I won't have to do it!  Well, even though I felt like yuck today, he made me sit there on a stool and document how to do it finally.  I don't know if it was that the gravy was super good today because it just was or if it was super good because I'd hardly eaten anything for the last 4 or 5 days.  Either way, I don't care - it was just SUPER DUPER AWESOME GOOD.

So...here it is...the pictures and documentation for Melon Man's Sausage Gravy...

Start by browning 1 pound sausage.  He usually buys the kind in the tube.  I think it's just normal sausage.  Definitely DON'T get the maple one.  Yuck.  However, it you want it super sausagey, use 2 pounds.
While the sausage is browning, get out your bucket of flour, your seasoned salt, and your crushed red pepper.  Pay no attention to the dirty dishes in the background...
Keep letting the sausage brown.  Break it up into chunks.  Don't make the pieces minuscule, but rather about the size of a dime.  You'll be glad you did.  Just trust me.
Once the sausage is browned, there should be very little grease in the pan.  Just leave it there.  You'll be glad you did.  Just trust me again.  Now, sprinkle in some flour. 
Okay, sprinkle in more flour.  You want it to coat the sausage well.  Stir it up really good. 
If you need to, add more flour.  I don't know how to describe how much flour...just put enough to make it kind of thick-ish and soak up any remaining grease.  Yeah, this needed a little more. 
Okay, he thinks that looks good now. 
Now pour in some milk.  Just regular ol' milk is good.  We use 1% in our house.  It works fine.  Now...how much milk...I don't know.  This is my big deep skillet - about 12-14 inches across and about 3 inches deep.  He filled it up about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way with milk. 
Now add a bunch of seasoned salt.  Yeah, again, not sure how much, but you can see he added the right amount...like always. 
Now sprinkle in the crushed pepper.  Okay...so for you spice wimps out there...ya gotta have SOME crushed red pepper.  But, if you really want it to taste GOOD, put a decent amount in.  The picture below shows the seasoned salt AND the crushed red pepper, just so you know.
Now, stir it all up.  Just keep stirring, just keep stirring...it will start to thicken. 
Once it's all thick and your biscuits (homemade or out of a pop-tube) are done baking, pour that luscious gravy over the biscuits and chow down.  YUM-O-LA. 
As you can see, we only used 1 pound of sausage and this picture shows that there was plenty of sausage, so one pound is likely fine.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I absolutely LOVE biscuits and gravy. I make mine very similar, but never thought of using the red pepper flakes. Great idea!