Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Michigan 2013 - Day 1

Today was finally the day to go to Michigan! We made it to the airport this morning in a rainstorm, with the defroster in the car suddenly not working too well.  We had an argument on the way there.  This trip was not starting out well.  The only good thing so far was that we got upgraded to First Class for our ride there!  Yay!  I was not too thrilled about where Melon Man had wanted to sit....in the very last row right next to the restrooms...so this was a fantastic change for me.

For four and a half hours, this was the view out our window...nothing but solid clouds...bummer.
Here's Mr. "I get to ride in First Class!" drinking his beverage and reading his Kindle...
Then, the typical Melon Man "smile"...really?
 Finally...a cute smile!
Then, our lunch arrived.  It was pretty good.
 My first glimpse of Detroit...this "industrial" looking section is actually between Highway 96, the Jeffries highway, and Plymouth Road, in Livonia.  I had no idea what it was until we got back and I looked it up on Google Earth.  Dummy me, I made an assumption that it was the famed 8 Mile Road or something.  That street is actually four major streets to the left and can't really even be seen in this photo.



I don't have any more pictures from our first day because this was all I took.  After we landed, we went to the rental car place to pick up our car.  I mistakenly assumed Melon Man knew where we were and would drive to Ann Arbor where our hotel was.  He didn't.  So, I just took off driving, based on what I had seen online when reserving the hotel.  We ended up getting on the wrong freeway.  I hadn't printed instructions of how to get there either.  I didn't bring the GPS because we had one on our phones.  But, I hadn't programmed the hotel address in before we left the car rental place.  Needless to say, we got into a huge argument and I threw my phone across the car and it busted into a bunch of pieces.  I swerved over to the side of the road and we had a screaming match.  I bawled and bawled.  This trip was not starting out well.  We finally put my phone back together (hallelujah, it still worked), programmed in the hotel address, went to the next exit, and drove all through Ann Arbor to get to it.  We checked in.  The room was okay.  We left to go get some dinner.  We went to a restaurant near the University of Michigan campus and ate.  It was alright.  We went back to our hotel.  We went to sleep, hoping tomorrow would be a MUCH better day for both of us.

No comments: