Saturday, October 26, 2013

Kingswood Park Ward Day of Service

Today was our ward's annual day of service.  I didn't want to go.  I almost didn't go.  But, in the end, I did.

Sometimes, I look at service the wrong way.  I just do.  I wish I didn't, but I do.  I look at the typical types of recipients and I get irritated.  I judge.  I question why.  When I am in need of service in the same or a similar way, nobody thinks of me.

But, today, I looked at things in a different way.

Today, I looked at it as time to spend with my husband.  If he could come home from working all night and go and spend 90 minutes helping someone because they needed it, without caring who it was, without knowing exactly what it was that he would be doing, well, then, I could get my big, fat butt out of bed after sleeping 7 hours and go help him.

I looked at it as an opportunity to get to know others in my ward better - because I've been struggling to feel like I fit in.

I looked at it as a form of exercise.

I looked at it in a non-judgmental way.  I still wonder if I would have looked at it the same way if it had been for people who constantly ask for help, but never come to church, never try to do anything on their own, abuse the goodness, etc.  But, I hope I learned more than that today.

I looked at it as following in the footsteps of Christ - who I'm striving to be more like.

So, I pulled my big, fat, butt (less 72.8 pounds from a year ago!!) out of bed, threw my hair into a ponytail, and put on my bright orange "I am beautiful...because I shine like the Son" t-shirt from last year's girls camp and went to the ward service day.

And you know what?

It was hot.  I was sweaty.  I was dirty.  I have disgusting super stinky landfill sloshy barfy muck on my shoes.
But I feel good.  I got exercise.  I spent time with people from church who share the same values I do.  I served two really old people who just couldn't clean up their yard anymore.  Their yard looks awesome now.  We took 15+ bags of rubbish to the dump and I stepped in who knows what muddy gross stuff.  I have thorns in my shirt and pants.  But, I got to spend time with Melon Man.  I got to serve someone else.  And, I served the Lord.  I feel happy.  Happier than I have felt in a long time.

Yes, I'm tired.  Yes, I'm sore.  Yes, my shoes are thoroughly disgusting.  But, I am happy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few favorite scriptures pertaining to today:

  • "When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."  Mosiah 2:17
  • Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.  3 Nephi 27:27

No comments: