Monday, May 19, 2014

Gouty Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce

Since becoming a vegetarian, I have been sad that I can't eat my Sausage Spaghetti anymore.  I finally took the time to create a version that I really like that is completely gouty vegetarian!  The cauliflower gives it bulk like hamburger or sausage, it picks up the flavors of the seasonings, and it adds veggies to the dish.  Give it a try.  It's not exactly the same as my other spaghetti sauce, but it's close enough for me!

Kristin's Gouty Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce

1 head cauliflower
1 medium onion, diced
1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
48 oz tomato sauce (six 8 oz cans)
Garlic salt 
Black pepper

1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 T dry fennel seed
1/2 T Italian seasoning
2 cubes vegetable bouillon
1 to 2 lbs dry or fresh spaghetti
Olive or vegetable oil

In a food processor, grate the cauliflower.  In a large pot, add a little olive oil and begin sauteeing the onion and green pepper along with the crushed red pepper and fennel seed.  Once sauteed, remove from pot temporarily.  Add a little oil again and begin browning the cauliflower as if you were browning hamburger.  Once it has good color and is tender, add the onions and peppers back in.  Add the tomato sauce and vegetable bouillon cubes; stir well.  Add garlic salt and black pepper. I have no idea how much garlic salt and black pepper - enough to where you like the flavor.  Taste and season as needed.  


In another pot, begin cooking enough spaghetti for those eating - 1 to 2 lbs - according to package directions.  I always add a little olive or vegetable oil to keep it from sticking once it's drained.  Once pasta is finished cooking, drain well and return to pot.  At the top of the sauce that is in the other pot, some of the liquid portion of the sauce will have risen to the top of the top.  Carefully ladle that portion (about 3 ladles full) into the drained pasta.  Stir/toss pasta well to coat all sides.  

Serve pasta in a large bowl with sauce separately in another, along with yummy garlic bread and green salad.  Yum!!


P.S.  I like to add a good dollop of sour cream to the center of my plate once it's dished up.  I stir it in and it makes my sauce kind of like a bolognese - creamy and all.  Yummy!

No comments: