Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Independence Day!

First, congratulations to Lisa. She guessed it correctly. It was Colonel Sanders from KFC.

As I was walking through O'Hare airport, there he was. People were just staring at him. Some were getting their pictures taken with him. I literally was less than 18" away from him at one point. I just stared at him. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. It just was unreal to me! Here was a man that I grew up seeing on TV all the time. Then, he died. He always seemed like a really nice man when I would see him on TV and I always wanted to learn his secret recipe for his fried chicken.

This guy was a really good impersonator of the real Colonel Sanders. He was very sweet and genuine. Here's to you Colonel and for you, Lisa, you get a vinyl cutout of your choice!

Today has been a very nice, relaxing 4th. I got up, made my new Loaded Baked Potato Salad, and just watched episode after episode of Food Network TV. So unlike me, but so wonderfully relaxing. I really needed to work on the office some more since I didn't get a whole lot done yesterday, but I didn't feel like it. My house was clean and it was quiet and so I just enjoyed the day.

Melon Man got home about 2:15 and by 2:45 we were on our way to Lisa and Craig's to celebrate the holiday. We brought Dog with us to try to get him to learn to swim - AGAIN. Lisa kept Maxine in her kennel in the house for a little bit and I got in the pool to try to get Dog to swim. At first, he wouldn't get in. But then, Melon Man moved over to the pool and sat on the first step and helped me coax Dog in. He was pretty good with the first step. Then, we made to the second step. Then, the third. I held him close to me and we "swam" out into the center of the pool twice and then let him swim back to Melon Man. All of a sudden, he just took off swimming on his own around and around in circles!

I kept waiting and waiting for Lisa to come out and see him. Suddenly, she came through the door and she was shocked! Every time Dog swam out and back or such, I'd cheer for him.

I think that helped reinforce him to know that he was doing what he was supposed to be doing.

Finally, we let Maxine out and all doggie goodness broke loose! They were running all around, swimming all over the pool, playing with each other! Dog found this broken up red ball and locked his teeth on it.

He ran around and around, taunting Maxine with it. But...she wouldn't let him get away with that! She just blocked him from getting in the pool! But.....he decided he would just learn how to jump in from the side! It was hilarious watching him kind of "jump" (but really sort of just slide) into the pool. Check out this video...sorry, no sound on these...

As we watched the two of them swim around, we began to notice Dog's tail and how every time he would get out of the water his tail would swing around like a Wiggle Worm sprinkler! Check this one out too! We were laughing so hard!

After we swam for a couple hours in the very refreshing, but warm, water, we came in to eat. But before coming in, we took this picture of the dogs smiling about all the fun they'd had together. Just ignore Melon Man's man-boob in the corner. That's his, not mine!

After we got out of the pool, we all caught a glimpse of the pool. Ew...yuck. Look at all that dog hair floating on top. Dog is shedding again, so most of it is probably his. At least our house will stay clean a little longer this time!

So, in we went to eat. Lisa made marinated, BBQ'd flank steak, asparagus, rolls, sauteed mushrooms, and hunter sauce. We brought fresh corn on the cob and Loaded Baked Potato Salad. It was all SO good.


This is one of my most favorite holidays. I think about all those who have and are currently fighting for the freedom of our country. I just want to say thanks for giving your lives and service to ensure we have a free country to live in. I will never forget your sacrifice.

2 comments:

Lisa Tucker said...

Oh we did have a good time! Coda was a hoot! Maxine is tuck away in her Kennal and sound asleep. She came in the house and went right away to bed. I am sure she will be snoring in a few. Dinner was great. Thanks for bringing the fantastic Corn on the cob, and Loaded bake potato salad. Yum! Love you.

Cindy said...

Oh, dang it. I've been so busy getting ready for the holiday I haven't checked blogs lately. I would have gotten it for sure!

Please post the recipe for your baked potato salad. It looks yummy.

The dogs were hysterical!