Friday, August 20, 2010

Starting Our Trip Back

We left Mackinaw City this morning to begin our drive back toward Ohio.  It was raining again.  We drove to Harrisville and said goodbye to Ma and Pa V.  Our original plan was to drive West Branch and spend the night there, but with the rain and all, we discussed that it might be better to motor on down the road and get a little closer to Columbus so it wasn't such a long drive tomorrow.  We didn't want to risk anything happening and us missing our flight home, so we stopped in West Branch and said goodbye to Kris and Jim.  We never did get to see Shannon while we were here.  Oh well, maybe next time. 

I tried blogging while Melon Man was driving, but it was just hard to do with not being able to connect to the internet - yeah, I'm falling behind in my technological savvy.  It's just not important enough to me to pay an extra $50 a month to be able to have wireless internet out on the highway.  So, finally, I just put the laptop away and sat there.  Melon Man drove and soon I started falling asleep.  Believe it or not, this was the first time I'd fallen asleep on the road while on our trip!  I attributed it to the fact that I'd now seen these particular trees before and so it was okay.  I slept off and on the whole way.  I just couldn't keep my eyes open!  I guess I was finally worn out.  I did make sure to capture these two signs though as we left Michigan and entered Ohio...


We arrived in Toledo, well, actually Maumee, around 7:45 p.m.  We quickly checked into our hotel and then went to have dinner at Granite City Restaurant.  Talk about great service!  The food was yummy, but the service - impecable!  Our waiter was so good, that we left him a $15 tip!  Now, that was a lot, considering our meal was only about $50...so, that's a 30% tip!  

We stayed at the Staybridge Suites.  It was a really nice room for super cheap!  It was an extended stay type place and looked to be pretty new.  We decided we would have to try that brand of hotel again.  We hauled all of our shopping bags and suitcases and everything into the hotel for the night and I repacked everything so it was all ready for the morning and for the airplane.  We checked in for our flight and we were off to bed.

No comments: