Monday, July 18, 2011

Another Haboob

We had another haboob last night.  This time, I actually got to experience it.  I was still at work.  My co-worker and I had seen the "stormage" growing all afternoon.  But, then, about 5:30 or so, we could see the sky getting brown.  It was growing and growing.  He soon left to head home and I stayed back to keep working.  Before I knew it, the sky was dark and completely brown.  I could barely see out the window across the parking lot.  There was flying debris all over the place.  It was so weird!  And then, just as quickly as it rolled it, it was gone. 

I finally left for home around 6:30 (yay!) and as I got on the freeway, it started to rain.  And not teensy tiny raindrops.  This was "fat" rain as Forrest Gump would say.  A drop would hit and it was seriously "heavy" and fat.  It would make a splatter about the size of a silver dollar.  Soon, it was rainy pretty consistently.  Then, as I motored on down the road, it got really heavy.  Then, the wind picked up.  It was pretty freaky - as I approached Grand Ave, I could see cars in front of me being blown across the road a little bit with huge sheets of water just flying off their cars.  Scary! 
I made it across Grand Ave where all of a sudden...nothing.  Not a speck.  Not a drop.  Absolutely dry.  Like always.  Bummer.  Our little town never gets the storm!

Weather in Arizona...you never know what you're gonna get!

No comments: