Sunday, October 14, 2012

Green Onion Green Chile Rice

So, learning to cook vegetarian style has been quite the little feat.  Every recipe is new to me and I don't really know how much something will make.  Sometimes I can gauge by how big of a pan it says to cook or bake it in, but not always.  This is one of those things.  But...I've made this three times now and it doesn't matter to me that it makes an 8x10 dish.  I love it.  And, I will eat it for days because it's so good.

I found this recipe and picture on Kalyn's Kitchen - where you're bound to see me pulling a ton of recipes from as I go through this gout crap.  But, almost every single recipe I've tried from her website has been phenomenal.  If not, I don't post it here.  I have made a couple alterations to this recipe to make it even more to my liking...no biggie, I suppose, since she does the same thing to recipes she finds and then reposts.

Everyone who knows me knows I really don't like using my crockpot all that much, but Kalyn suggests using the crockpot for this one.  Either way would be great so I'll post both ways.


GREEN ONION GREEN CHILE RICE

Ingredients:

5 cups cooked white rice (I love Minute Rice, so that's what I use, but you can use regular white rice if you want)
2 cups thinly sliced green onions - SERIOUSLY - DON'T SKIMP ON THIS
1-1/2 cups sour cream
2 cans sliced mushrooms, drained
1 can (7 oz) Ortega diced green chiles plus juice
2 T Green Tabasco Sauce
2 cups + 1/2 cup grated Mozzarella cheese (not the pre-grated kind)
2 T + 2 T finely grated Parmesan cheese

Mix together the cooked rice and sliced green onions in a bowl that will hold all of the ingredients.  Add in the sour cream, diced green chiles and juice, Green Tabasco Sauce, the 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, and finally the 2T parmesan cheese.  Mix all of the ingredients together gently until well combined.

Spray a 3-4 quart slow cooker or 8x10 baking dish with non-stick spray or olive oil.  Add the rice mixture to the crock pot or baking dish and press down so it's evenly distributed.  Sprinkle the top with the rest of the grated Mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese.  If using the crock pot, cook on low for 1-2 hours, or until the rice is bubbling hot, cheese is melted, and it's starting to brown around the edges.  If baking in the oven, bake on 350* until rice is bubbling hot and it's just starting to brown around the edges.

Enjoy!

No comments: