Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Christmas Edition of Getting to Know Your Friends

Okay, here's what you're supposed to do! And try not to be a SCROOGE! Just copy this entire blog entry and either paste it into a new blog entry or an email that you can send. Change all the answers so they apply to you. Then post it on your own blog or send it to a whole bunch of people you know, INCLUDING the person that sent it to you.
  1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
    Both! I love to buy a different wrapping paper every year. I always pick out three different papers that "go" together and will look awesome under the tree. I try, but am not always successful, to get them to match whatever theme I have going on with the tree that year. For example, one year all of the paper was country-like. Another year, it was all metallic. Last year was the first year that I had colored lights on my tree (Clint's favorite) so our paper had nothing but colored lights on it! This year, it's all about glitter and shine.
  2. Real tree or artificial?
    Definitely fake. And Cindy - it's OK to say it! Pre-lit, here I come next year. Hello people that buy real trees...global warming, environment, etc.? You're killing off our oxygen makers and carbon dioxide eaters!
  3. When do you put up your tree?
    Well, when I was younger and first married (or is that married the first time?), I used to put it up on Thanksgiving night after our company would leave. But, as I've gotten older, more tired, fatter, and busier, it gets put up later each year. This year, the tree was up without any decorations for 5 days before I just said "Girl - just get it done!" and I did. It's not the best decorating job I've done, but I haven't felt well this week so it will have to do!
  4. When do you take the tree down?
    Refer to number 3 above. I used to take it down around New Year's. One year, it didn't come down until March. Last year, I think it was mid January. Just depends on my life at the time. I really like looking at it for as long as I can, but I also like getting my house back to normal.
  5. Do you like eggnog?
    Yes, but in moderation. I have to usually thin it down just a hair with some milk though. Clint, on the other hand, LOVES it and he could probably drink a gallon of it if I'd let him.
  6. Favorite gift received as a child?
    Not sure that I ever had a favorite. I did really like the tape recorder (that I almost didn't get), the Barbie airplane, and the woodburning set.
  7. Do you have a nativity scene?
    Yes, I have one from my mom that she bought for each of us girls a couple years before she died, one from Grandma E, and then a very simple Mary/Joseph/Baby Jesus porcelain one that I made in Relief Society. That one is my favorite. It's just so simple and elegant.
  8. Who is your hardest person to buy for?
    Clint. He doesn't really express what he would like other than books and old movies and I'm not sure which ones he wants so it makes it hard. I always want to get him other things though so it makes it hard. I, on the other hand, start thinking of certain things for a list in about October. Clint also has the mentality that if there is something he'd like, he'll just go out and buy it rather than wait for someone to give it to him for Christmas.
  9. Easiest to buy for?
    Dad. Although he doesn't really think gift cards are a great way of giving a gift, he enjoys getting a Discover Gift Card or such so he can add his own money to it to get something he wants later in the year.
  10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
    A t-shirt from Walmart with Winnie the Pooh (off-center) on it from Rextopher (yeah, that's what he calls himself for fun). I HATED that shirt. He only bought it because it was $4 and he'd used all the rest of his shopping allotment on himself and didn't have any money left to buy me anything. I would have rather gotten nothing at all - just a poem or something.
  11. Mail or email Christmas cards?
    Mail them - if I even get them done.
  12. Favorite Christmas movie?
    Definitely LOVE Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase and Luke 2. Although, I also love Elf, Home Alone 1 & 2, The Santa Clause trilogy, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, and the new Miracle on 34th Street. Cannot stand It's a Wonderful Life or A Christmas Story. Going to watch "The Nativity" for the first time this year.
  13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
    Again, refer to number 3 above. Because of my busy schedule, I love shopping online. This year, I hit up a couple places online on Thanksgiving since I was home alone all day. Will NEVER EVER IN A BAZILLION YEARS do Black Friday again! Did that a few years back and it was KA-RAY-Z! Psychos y'all are to do that!!! Angie - that means you!
  14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
    I think once, but I can't remember for sure.
  15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
    Definitely my clam chowder and Christmas Eve Sandwiches! Then, prime rib, stuffed mushrooms, and twice baked potatoes at Lisa's the next day!
  16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
    I've always loved clear lights - they go with everything and can make even the most hideous of ornaments look elegant. But, I like colored lights for the fun the bring to the tree. I just thought of something I'm going to try next year! I'm going to put both kinds of lights on the tree and we'll alternate each day as to which ones we turn on! Then, on Christmas Eve when we're having our spiritual program, we'll have the beautiful, elegant looking tree. The next day, we'll have the fun, colorful tree!
  17. Favorite Christmas Song?
    I'll Be Home for Christmas. It just reminds me of family. And...Silent Night. The real reason for the season.
  18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
    Both. Moreso, I love to stay home because I love our traditions. However, I don't mind traveling home either because my family has most of the same traditions too.
  19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer (without looking them up)?
    Yes. But I'm not going to right now.
  20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
    I have a very simple star that is made out of twigs. I love it.
  21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
    Depends. Since Clint and I don't have any children, we like to open gifts on Christmas Eve so we can sleep in on Christmas morning. If we had children, we would definitely want to do it Christmas morning - but it would still have to be dark when we did it! It's just so much more fun and reminds me of my childhood.
  22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
    That the true meaning of Christmas seems to be forgotten. I've noticed so much lately how people write XMAS instead of Christmas. I know most do it just because it's faster to write, but think about it....everytime you write XMAS, you take Christ out of Christmas and isn't He the real reason for the season?
  23. Do you decorate your tree in any specific theme or color?
    I used to. Not so much anymore. But, I am starting to get more and more ornaments that have special meanings and memories...like my Vacancy ornament, my red bike ornament, and my huge nail ornament.
  24. What do you leave for Santa?
    A red negligeé - if you get my drift.
  25. Favorite thing about Christmas?
    The special feelings I get all season long about the birth of our Savior. I recently found the most touching story about why He was born in a stable. I will try to find it and share it with all of you.

May your Christmas be filled with the special spirit that only this time of year can bring. I love you all.

No comments: