Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hola Hermana! Su Comida fue Muy Deliciosa!

Lisa called me yesterday and was telling me about her ward's upcoming HFPE. It sounded like a lot of fun so I decided to go with her and her mom.

They share their building with a Spanish-speaking branch and so both wards were getting together for HFPE and the spanish-speaking sisters were presenting a little tidbit about the country where they lived and then they made food from their country. There sisters from Sonora, Mexico; Chihuahua, Mexico, Guatemala, Chile, and Argentina. It was so much fun! There were men there who could translate - probably because they had gone on spanish-speaking missions - who helped the spanish-speaking sisters tell about their countries. It was so great to be able to sit there and listen to them speak in their own language. I am so fortunate to have been given the gift of tongues so I can understand languages. I sat there, totally enthralled listening to them. I was able to laugh with them before the translator ever finished repeating what they'd said. It was just so wonderful! I understood probably 75-80% of what they said.

The food was SO GOOD. I love mexican food as much as the next person, but Taco Bell isn't really mexican and even my fave Macayo's is americanized and has lost its mexican charm. But, this food was totally authentic! I LOVED the homemade flour tortillas. I LOVED the carne asada. I LOVED the Barbecoa. I LOVED the Chimichurri sauce. I LOVED the pozole soup. And, I LOVED the empanadas! It was ALL SO GOOD. I seriously could have sat there at the tables with the food and just chowed all night! Both Clint and Rex have questioned my love of eating at the local "*****-tos" (i.e. Filiberto's, Alberto's, Federico's, Rolberto's, etc.) restaurants as they have felt they were cockroach cities with tons of health violations, but honestly, they have less violations than KFC does and the food is honestly so good and real that I don't mind eating there at all! In fact, they make so much of the food fresh, that sometimes you have to wait in the drive-thru lane for 10-15 minutes - and you're only the first or second car! My fave at Federico's is the Carne Asada burrito with cheese, sour cream, and pico de gallo. Talk about yum - and huge! Oh man, my mouth is watering! Fed's is open 24 hours...maybe I should head down for the usual! Yum....!

No comments: