Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Digital Photography 101?

Well, that was a short-lived photography class! I went to class last night and ended up having to look at the course description again to see if I'd chosen the wrong class! I got there and the teacher pretty much talked about Photoshop the whole time. He said we would learn about exposure and aperature and all that, but mostly he talked about Photoshop. Now, I would LOVE to learn how to use Photoshop as much as the next budding photographer, but I think that the first thing a good photographer needs to learn is all about the basics of good photography - not how to make the picture better in Photoshop. You learn that afterwards. If a picture has good composition, lighting, structure, and balance, you don't need Photoshop. Sure, it can enhance the picture, but it's not absolutely necessary. The teacher made it sound like that was all we were going to really focus on.

Today I've really been thinking about it and I think I'm going to drop the class. It's 9 weeks of going to a class that I don't really know will fulfill my needs. I'm going to look online at some of the blogs that I visit once in a while and see what's out there by way of digital photography for the beginner. I know of a couple good ones. Plus, I've heard this teacher requires a lot of outside photoshoots and whether he realizes it or not, it's summer here and I just can't handle being outside right now. I feel really good about this decision but I'm still going to sleep on it and depending on how I feel in the morning, I will either go to my second night of class and talk to him to be sure I want to stay in the class or I will drop before heading out to work. Bummer, if this doesn't work out...I really want to learn how to use this camera!

No comments: