Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Update

Today was Stake Conference.  It started at 9, but we got there at 8 and were glad we did so we could sit up front on the soft pews.  We both had a really difficult time keeping our eyes open for some reason.  The most spiritual thing to me today was how the music touched me.  One of the prelude songs that the choir sang was "I Need Thee Every Hour."  I love this song!

I need thee every hour, most gracious Lord; no tender voice like thine can peace afford.
I need thee every hour; stay thou nearby; temptations lose their power when thou art nigh.
I need thee every hour, in joy or pain; come quickly and abide, or life is vain.
I need thee every hour, most Holy One; O make me thine indeed, thou blessed Son.
I need thee, O I need thee; every hour I need thee; O bless me now, my Savior, I come to thee.

I realized how very true this song is.  Without Christ by my side every hour of every day, life at this time on earth would be so much more difficult and sad than it already is.

The opening hymn was "I Believe in Christ."  This is one of my most favorite songs.  It always makes me think of Elder McConkie and the fact that this song is his own testimony.  My favorite parts are bolded below.  I remember when I was just about to leave for college, I had the opportunity to sing this in the Tabernacle on Temple Square.  The goose bumps it gave me were incredible.  It was an experience I will never forget.

I believe in Christ; he is my King!  With all my heart to him I’ll sing;
I’ll raise my voice in praise and joy, In grand amens my tongue employ.
I believe in Christ; he is God’s Son.  On earth to dwell his soul did come.
He healed the sick; the dead he raised.  Good works were his; his name be praised.

I believe in Christ; oh blessed name!  As Mary’s Son he came to reign
’Mid mortal men, his earthly kin, To save them from the woes of sin.
I believe in Christ, who marked the path, Who did gain all his Father hath,
Who said to men: “Come, follow me, That ye, my friends, with God may be.”

I believe in Christ—my Lord, my God!  My feet he plants on gospel sod.
I’ll worship him with all my might; He is the source of truth and light.
I believe in Christ; he ransoms me. From Satan’s grasp he sets me free,
And I shall live with joy and love in his eternal courts above.

I believe in Christ; he stands supreme!  From him I’ll gain my fondest dream;
And while I strive through grief and pain, His voice is heard: “Ye shall obtain.”
I believe in Christ; so come what may, With him I’ll stand in that great day
When on this earth he comes again To rule among the sons of men.

I am amazed at how music touches my soul.  I am so glad Heavenly Father gave us music to help us feel the spirit in our lives.

One of the first items of business at the conference today was the sustaining of a 70 year old man who just received the Melchezidek priesthood today.  He was the only one.  Oh, to have lived a lifetime without that priesthood power and to now have it.  I watched him closely throughout the meeting and wondered what he was feeling.

My favorite talk of the whole meeting was a recently returned sister missionary.  She spoke with such spirit.  She told how during the last week of her mission, she and a fellow missionary were talking about how it felt weird that week - like they weren't missionaries.  The other missionary said that it was because they were both focused on themselves going home, their flights being cancelled due to snow, etc. instead of focusing on serving others.  She then shared a verse to "Because I Have Been Given Much" that the missionaries have been singing.  It goes...

Because I have been blessed dear Lord, I too must serve.
I’ll leave the comfort of my home to teach Thy word.
I’ll find Thy sheep who’ve gone astray, and those who’ve never known the way,
I’ll make Thy work, my work today.
I shall give love to those in need
I’ll show that love by words and deed.
Thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.

It really made me think about something that has happened recently.  I have signed up to provide service to a number of different families lately in their time of need.  When I have arrived, sometimes I have questioned why the family really needed service as it appears that everything is fine.  But, a prick at my heart tells me to stop questioning and just do.  It is not for me to judge whether the service is needed.  If it weren't, I'm sure there wouldn't have been a request.  I want to be better at providing service.  I don't know why I struggle with it.  So, maybe signing up to help out others is really my opportunity to help me too. 

I was asked to read this quote recently in a Gospel Doctrine or Relief Society class.  I loved it so much that I stuck it in my scriptures that day.  I found it again today and wanted to include it here as it really does pertain to service too...

"Love is the guiding light that illuminates the disciple's path and fills our daily walk with life, meaning, and wonder.  Love is the measure of our faith, the inspiration for our obedience, and the true altitude of our discipleship."  --Dieter F. Uchtdorf

I want to remember this every time I serve another.  It will help me remember why I serve, not why I shouldn't.

No comments: