Sunday, January 9, 2011

O Thou Afflicted, Tossed with Tempest, and Not Comforted

The last 36 hours or so have been quite heavy on my heart.  I won't go into the details here as to why but I'll just say there are things that have been running through my mind all day and night and they are troubling to me.  As it was, I was unable to go to sleep until almost 4 a.m. this morning. 

After talking with Jen about TatoBug's issue last night, I called each member of my family and asked them to please join us in fasting for TatoBug today.  I wasn't ever able to get ahold of Dad or Kev, but I did find out tonight that they had both gotten the message and that we believe everyone in our family participated in the fast, even most of the children, until late in the day today.  I have faith that fasting works and that although things may not be perfect on Tuesday when they go to the doctor, that hopefully it will not be as bad as it could be. 

My heart has been touched immensely by the Spirit today...and it's because I was able to fast and feel the spirit close to me.  He enlightened my mind in many ways, with many thoughts, insights, and feelings.  Our Stake President Spoke today and it felt so much like his words were meant especially for me so I could share them here.

I have been listening to church music since 2 p.m. today.  For the most part, it's just played in the background while I've been working on compiling our annual Ward history.  But, there have been two songs that have just stuck out like a bright fuchsia flower in the midst of all white roses.  The first one...

I need thee every hour, most gracious Lord
No tender voice like thine can peace afford
I need thee, oh, I need thee
Every hour I need thee
Oh bless me now, my Savior
I come to thee.

When we need the Savior, He is there with us - whether He himself, or through the Holy Ghost to comfort us.  He will be with Jennifer and Shane and TatoBug on Tuesday.  I know He will.  He will bring them comfort as they talk with the doctors and discuss what is wrong with TatoBug and how to fix it.  He will fill them with a sense of peace because....

"The fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ brings great comfort in stressing times of mortality. It brings light where there is darkness and a calming influence where there is turmoil. It gives eternal hope where there is mortal despair. It is more than just beautiful doctrine. It is a reality in our lives that if we can be obedient and obtain the eternal rewards that God grants us, if we will draw nigh unto Him and embrace the eternal doctrine, we will be blessed."  (Elder Robert D. Hales)

Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev’ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav’nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

"Some of the greatest lessons of gospel principles about the eternal nature of the family are learned as we observe how members of the Church, when faced with adversity, apply gospel principles in their lives and in their homes."  (Elder Robert D. Hales)

As I sat there listening to President Hancock talk about adversity and trials and the tempest that rages, I thought about what TatoBug may be asked to go through - along with his family.  Whatever physical challenges he's given, I know that because he has a firm testimony, an extremely strong faith, and the knowledge of our Savior's plan, things will be as the Lord intends them to be and all will be okay for both him and his family and all of us.  But the important thing to remember is this...

"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."  (Helaman 5:12).

It is when we build our lives on Christ, on a firm foundation, that we then know that we can deal with whatever comes.  I know that whatever comes to pass on Tuesday and thereafter, everything will be okay.  It just will.  We can rise above tragedy because of our foundation.  It may not seem like the answer we want to hear at the time, but it's always the right answer.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

What? I didn't know Taylor wasn't doing well. Can you email me with some details. We would've fasted too.