Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Guess Who's 42?

Me!  Yep, today is my birthday!  I cannot believe I am 42 years old now.  Where on earth has the time gone?  I don't feel 42.  What does 42 "feel" like?  When I was younger, I thought people who were in their 40s were "old."  I thought that once you hit 40, life was over.  You were on the downside to the grave.  There just wasn't a reason to keep going on.  Just buy the casket now.

But...today I realized that I am not dead.  I am not old.  Life is not over.  I am young.  I still have plenty of life to live and hopefully many more years to do that!  I feel alive.  I feel like I have so much still to give.  So...today, 42 is a great number!

Now...the fact that I'm ONLY EIGHT years away from 50...THAT is completely depressing.

I got lots of phone calls from family and friends which I treasured.  I headed home from work and luckily it was Melon Man's night off, so we were able to spend it together.  We'd talked for a couple of days about where we were going to go for dinner but still hadn't decided by the time I got home.  Since we don't go out for Valentine's Day due to the long waits, crowds, and Melon Man's work schedule, I was willing to combine both a Valentine's Day dinner with my birthday dinner and go to a really nice, romantic place.  I thought about The Melting Pot, Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Flemings, Firebirds, etc.  But, as the day progressed I just didn't feel like going all the way home, getting all fancied up, driving all the way to Scottsdale or wherever, then eating a heavy, rich meal, paying a ton of money for it, then driving all the way home again.  So, the choice ended up being PETER PIPER PIZZA!

Yeah, most adults would never think of going to PPP as the place of choice for a birthday/valentine's dinner, but you know, I LOVED it.  We sat in "our" booth.  We had our normal lightly cooked pepperoni pizza with slightly extra sauce and extra cheese, our chicken wings, double crisped, and an order of breadsticks and sauce, also lightly cooked.  It was all just really yummy. 

We messed around taking dorky pictures of us - yeah, the drink pictures of me are imitating this girl whose blog I read and seriously, she has at least 5 "sucking drink" pictures of herself on her blog EVERY day.
I had tokens saved from prior visits that we could have used to play games but by the time we were done eating and messing around with pictures and such, we were ready to head home.  Yeah, sure, sounds like kind of a boring birthday night, but it really wasn't.  We had a fun time just talking and playing with each other's cell phones and being together.  We headed home and just chilled the rest of the night.  It was a really wonderful birthday/valentine's dinner!

No comments: