Friday, June 22, 2012

Home From O-HI-O and an Indexing Update

Since I was in Ohio this week, I didn't get to do any indexing.  Cousin Cindy and my friend Megan are "filling in" for me though - actually, not really - they've signed up to be indexers too!  Cindy is just plowing through a bunch of the states and she's taking time to actually look at the occupations and such of the folks she is indexing.  I do a little of that too, but I haven't had the time to be as in-depth as she is at looking at it.  We'e both doing it for our Personal Progress and I think I've finally surpassed the required 10 hours.  I need to check for sure though.  As of today, the entire 1940 census is now 68% indexed!


Here are the latest statistics for the project:
  • 95,941,918 names have been indexed and arbitrated; up 7,017,577 names from the last update, which was just a week ago!
  • 24 states have searchable indexes on FamilySearch.org. These states include Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and Wyoming. 
  • 7 additional states are 100% indexed and arbitrated and are in the final stage of preparation for posting. 
  • 137,569 indexers have signed up to index the 1940 US Census - two of which are Megan and Cindy, along with me!
I won't be able to work on indexing for a while.  Girls Camp is next week and I'm trying to get ready for that, behind still at work because of travel, and am just generally worn out.  Plus, have to go back to Ohio in 2 weeks, then to Chicago the following week.  Racking up those miles, for sure...all I have to say is, just put me in First Class and let me sleep.

Speaking of First Class...I was upgraded on both legs of my trip this time!  I was SO glad.  Those seats just fit me so much better and I don't feel like I'm crammed into a tiny hole.  I hope I get upgraded again when I go to Ohio in 2 weeks!

The humidity in Ohio was SO bad.  It was in the upper 90s too, so that made it even worse.  The first day we were there, I was sweating and melting like KA-RAY-Z!  My face was glistening - and not in a good way - and my hair...well, let's just say...it was not pretty.

As the days progressed, the humidity didn't seem as bad, but that's probably because we were out the door and off to work before the heat of the day really made things bad.  Then, when we would leave work around 5:30 or so, the sun wasn't as hot and the humidity would actually cool off just a little.  So, it was mostly bearable.

Our training went well, I learned new things, and I am glad to be home.  That 3 hour time difference for such a short trip is really hard on me.  I got up at 4:45 a.m. this morning so we could get to the aiport.  Um yeah, 4:45 there is 1:45 here.  No wonder I slept almost the whole flight and no wonder I'm tired now.  So...buenas noches.

No comments: