Monday, January 10, 2011

Make It Again Meatloaf

I have decided - once again - that I suck as a wife.

We hardly ever eat at home together.  We either go out on Melon Man's nights off or we grab stuff on the fly or we just find things around the house to munch on.  So bad, I know.

So, one of the things I really want to work on this year is cooking more often.  Yes, I'm tired when I come home from work.  But, I'm trying to work a 40 hour week so hopefully I won't keep being so tired all the time.

I decided that part of my problem is that I don't plan ahead when it comes to making dinner.  If I don't plan ahead, then every day it's going to be the same thing....what is there to eat that won't take a long time to make?  Take-out.  Restaurant.  Delivery.  So, as I worked on the ward annual history yesterday for hours and hours, I thought of some of our favorite meals.  Okay, so most of them are probably MY favorite meals because if Melon Man had his choice, he'd probably have roast and potatoes and gravy every night of the week.  Ewww.  I need diversity.  I need flavor (my roast HAS flavor, I just get tired of roast).  I need different types of food - casseroles, soups, meats, you know.

Anyhow, I made my list.  It's only got 24 meals on it - and some are so similar to others that they should be combined into one.  I know I have plenty more, but those are the ones I could think of right now.  So, I thought I'd post the recipe for one of my very favorites - and Melon Man's too.  It's my very own meatloaf recipe.  I know most people don't like meatloaf.  But I always say it's because they haven't tried MY meatloaf.  Meatloafs are dry and tasteless and look a lot like a fruitcake without the fruit.  Not this one.  Yummmmm....it's making my mouth water just thinking about it.  Maybe I'll take some hamburger out of the freezer this week and make it.  I could actually put it in the crockpot, stick it in the fridge, and then Melon Man could put it on low when he goes to bed and by the time I came home, it would be ready.  Hmmm.  Sounds like a plan.

So, in case anyone is interested, here is my famous (and yes, it is - the folks at work love it) meatloaf recipe.  Try it.  Even if you're not a mushroom person, chop them up really fine and you'll never know they are in there - they help keep it moist.  Feed this meatloaf to your hubby who hates meatloaf and he'll be sayin' "That's pretty good.  You can make it again."

FATTY GIRL’S FAMOUS MEATLOAF

2-1/2 lbs hamburger
2 T Worcestershire sauce
½ to ¾ of a medium onion, diced
1 T garlic salt
1 T pepper
2 eggs
2 cans mushroom slices, diced
¾ bag of pork rinds, crushed or a large handful of dry Minute Rice (the pork rinds add flavor and bulk, the rice just adds bulk)
¾ c ketchup
1 pkg Lipton onion soup mix
2 c grated cheddar or colby jack cheese

Knead all of the ingredients together well. Form into a loaf and put into a large bread pan or 9x13 baking dish. About ½ way through baking, make a crisscross design on top of the loaf with ketchup or barbecue sauce (I prefer ketchup - the extra sugar in the barbecue sauce tends to burn). Bake at 350* for 75-90 minutes. Serve with sour cream - yes, sour cream - try it.  You'll like it.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

That's what I have. A master menu list.

Breakfast foods for dinner.
Beef dishes
Chicken dishes
Main dish soups
Main dish salads
Sides
Misc.

Every Friday night or Sat. morning I plan the next weeks meals. All done! Then I make the grocery list and look in my pantry, fridge, under the sink, laundry room and add what is low from those areas. I only make one trip to the store and I save money and have a 'plan'.

Your list will grow as you get into it.

I'll email and send some of what's on our menu list. k?