Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Really Meaningful Day of Work

We started today off with a team meeting.  It was really good, really beneficial.  Then, we had meetings with some of the other teams we work with but rarely get to interact with.  It was so good to finally meet these people in person.  We accomplished a LOT!  It was too bad that we hadn't been able to spend more time with these people rather than the class we attended the last two days!

We headed for the airport, had some dinner at Chili's and then the Ohio folks and the Phoenix folks parted ways.  Of course, my foot was killing me (my plantar fascaitis - sp? - is acting up a lot lately) and of course, my gate had to be one of the furthest away and they were getting ready to board.  Drat. 

When we finally get on the plane and go to back out, we're held up from backing out because a huge ol' 777 plane has had some trouble and is behind us so we can't move until it's fixed.  Great.  Melon Man is going to be mad if he ends up being late because I'm late getting in and he had to come get me...

We finally take off about 20 minutes later and then finally as we're approaching Phoenix, we are advised that there has been another haboob and severe storms have forced planes to have to land unexpectedly at Sky Harbor.  So...we're going to have to hang out for a bit until we can land.  Great.  Melon Man is totally going to be ticked...

We finally get to land and then we're told that because so many planes had to land so quickly and it's so late at night, there aren't any gates open for us so we're going to have to sit in the penalty box until one opens.  Wonderful...I can hear Melon Man seething already...

Not too long after that announcement, we're told that they're opening a gate for us, but because they're short staffed, there won't be anyone there yet to extend the jetway to the plane.  Tick tock, tick tock...

Then, they tell us they've gotten someone to extend the jetway, but there won't be anyone to help at the gate if needed.  Oh...and there isn't anyone to pull our luggage off the plane either and get it down to baggage...what?

So, I text Melon Man and let him know as much as I can via text what is going on.  He is not happy.  Long story short...it took over an hour to get my luggage.  Melon Man was late to work.  He wouldn't talk to me the whole way there.  He didn't say goodbye when he got out of the truck.  It was not a good night. 

I guess had I not gone shopping while I was in Chicago, I could have just carried my bag on, but I had too much other crap to deal with too so I didn't.  I can't help it when there are broken planes.  I can't help it when there are sudden haboob storms that force tons of planes to land unexpectedly.  I can't help it when an airport doesn't have enough staff to get all the bags off of all those planes right away.  I guess I should have just arranged for an alternate way home.  I did tell him to go ahead and go and I'd take a cab or shuttle home so he wouldn't be late, but he was a good hubby and stayed and waited for me...even if he was mad.

No comments: