Friday, November 23, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's cold here this Black Friday morning! It was in the upper 30s last night and when I got up at 7:45, it was still only 42*! It actually made it feel a little "fallish/wintery"! Kinda makes me want to sip some hot cocoa and then put on some Christmas music and put up the Christmas stuff!

Well, as usual, my post for the actual day is a day late! Oh well. I hope you all had a wonderful day with your families and that you were able to enjoy your time with them. My day was quiet. Clint had to work all day so I was home alone and played "Elf" on the big screen while I worked around the house doing laundry, dishes, making pecan pie, and finally getting things cleaned up for our little private Thanksgiving dinner. C got home around 6:45 and we sat down to eat around 7:15/7:30. We were done around 8:20. It was really weird to try and make Thanksgiving dinner for just 2 people. I've never done that before! I've always cooked for at least 6 people. Our turkey though was really juicy and tender. I made two types of yams - one type for C (brown sugar and marshmallows) and one type for me (plain with butter, salt, and pepper), potatoes, green bean casserole (new to our dinner this year), rolls (that were in the freezer TOO long and were NOT good), oh, and of course the turkey, stuffing, and gravy. No salad this year...that was too much other food as it was and I knew we probably wouldn't eat much of it anyway. The food was great (except the rolls). Even Clint gave me a "that was REALLY good" rather than his typical "not bad!". He must have been really hungry, because he ate two FULL plates of food. I couldn't even finish one. No appetizers this year. Why? I was the only one home all day that would have been able to enjoy them. Maybe I can consider the celery I ate, while chopping it up for the stuffing, to be my appetizer. I had taken some cream cheese out to soften to make a cheese ball, but I later asked myself why and put it back in the fridge. I didn't even have shrimp, although I bought the cocktail sauce and everything.

It just did not seem like a holiday, let alone Thanksgiving. I came to the realization, sadly, that this will probably be the way it will be from now on. Lisa and Craig will most likely go to Utah to the Duffy's cabin from now on for Thanksgiving and her parents will either go with them or will go to California. So, any of my family that may read this...feel free to drive on down some year. We'd love to have you.

I'm off today - and ALL OF NEXT WEEK! I am finally taking some of my vacation time and so I have all kinds of projects (I really mean chores) lined up for the next few days. Sad thing though is that I know deep down I'll probably not get half of them done just because I'm exhausted from the last 15 years of life and I'd rather just sit and relax. But, if I keep doing that, these things will never get done. So, I've got to get most of them done. I have enough time that I should be able to get one done per day. Some are more ambitious than others (i.e. sand down the kitchen table and chairs, stain them, and recover the seats vs. do the laundry), but they are all things I really want to get done so I'm going to try to get them all finished.

Here's my list so let's see how much of it I actually get done before Dec. 3rd:
  1. Clean the house (yeah, that one is probably the least favorite, but most needed!)
  2. Finish the laundry
  3. Stain the armoire (we bought it at a garage sale for $25 and then C refinished it)
  4. Get the armoire moved into our bedroom and the TV put inside, etc.
  5. Sand down the kitchen table and chairs, stain them, and recover the seats
  6. Install the shower door in the guest bathroom (it's only been in the box for 4 months now leaning up against the bathroom wall)
  7. Paint and install the chair rail trim in the guest bathroom
  8. Paint and install the mirror trim in the guest bathroom
  9. Decorate the house for Christmas
  10. Finish the Christmas presents
  11. Hang some of the pictures I bought for the new house (that we didn't end up buying)
  12. Finish making the Christmas cards
  13. Write our Christmas letter and find a picture for the cards
  14. Find the pictures for another Christmas gift and get them printed
  15. Install the new internet modem
  16. Shred all the shredables
  17. Practice, practice, practice the piano for the Christmas Eve song (as well as the songs for church this weekend)
  18. Come up with a plan for HFPE for next year

Clint's list of chores for this week:

  1. Hang the Christmas lights and decorate the yard
  2. Take out all of the trashes and recycles

So, I guess that I better get off this machine and get to work - that's a pretty big list!

No comments: