Wednesday, December 1, 2010

O Christmas Tree

I want to start off by saying that Christmas just is not the Melon Man's favorite holiday.  In fact, he really doesn't like it at all.  I'm not sure why.  I've tried to unravel this mystery for years now, but still can not figure it out.

So, imagine my surprise, when I came home recently and found the Christmas tree that had been sitting there naked for a little over a week, partially decorated!  Yes, Mr. Melon Man had brought in the decoration crates and had placed a number of ornaments on the tree - along with 2 boxes worth of candy canes he'd bought at work.  It touched my heart so much that he'd done this.  It was like it was his own little way of either saying, "I'm tired of looking at this naked tree" or "She's been so busy with all this vinyl still as well as all of the Ward party stuff, I'll help her out with the tree" or maybe just "I want to be part of this whole tree decorating thing."  Whichever it was, I was just shocked to see that he'd done some of it.  Sure, it wasn't perfect and he forgot to fluff out the branches first, but, it was the thought that mattered.  Everytime I think of the fact that he did this, it just brings tears to my eyes.

Tonight, I came home, drove up to the house, he came out, we went to get some pizza, went to tithing settlement, and then came home.  As we rounded the corner, I noticed that our house had Christmas lights on it.  He'd done those too - without my help and "direction."  What a surprise!

It seems that the Scroogy, Grinchy Melon Man has melted away a little this year...I hope it continues!!!  Maybe some year we'll have the ultimate - the Griswold Christmas House!

No comments: