Thursday, February 24, 2011

THE Best Show on TV

Right now, I am in LOVE with the show Parenthood.  One of my peeps at work turned me on to this show last season.  I watched one episode and was hooked.  I watched every episode that I'd missed on the internet so I could get caught up.  I watched the internet episodes three and four times while I waited patiently for the second season to start.  And now, I'm even more in love with this show than last season. 

It's so real.  It's so touching.  It's just ... so ... beautiful.  To see the stories between the characters, to feel the emotions through the storylines, to be able to cry each and every time I watch it because I feel connected to this family is amazing. 

For most of the episodes, part of the storyline has been Max and him having Aspergers, which is a milder form of Autism that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction.  To see the tantrums, the outbreaks, the anger, the emotions, everything that goes along with Aspergers is heartbreaking.  My heart yearns to reach out to Kristina (Max's mom) and wrap her in my arms and just let her cry on my shoulder.

Tonight I watched Tuesday's episode after Melon Man left for work.  At the end of the episode, Max found out he has Aspergers. He didn't know before now.  They showed the previews for next week's episode and I started crying.  How do you tell your child they have Aspergers?  When they ask what Aspergers is, you explain that it's a form of Autism and then, the child asks what Autism is and you have to explain what it is, what the rest of his life is going to be like, why he acts the way he does.  It was so touching.  I couldn't help but cry.  I can't wait to see next Tuesday's episode!

I can't fully describe the depth of the connection that I feel with this show.  There are just no appropriate words.  If you're interested in checking it out and seeing that there are still good, meaningful shows on television, it's on on Tuesday nights at 9 p.m. on NBC.  Here is a link to one of THE best episodes and you can watch it online:  http://www.nbc.com/parenthood/video/amazing-andy-and-his-wonderful-world-of-bugs/1294105/

No comments: