Saturday, April 14, 2012

Quilting 101

Lisa invited us over for dinner tonight while Cindy, Duff, Christine, Meredith, and Ainsley were there.  Melon Man wasn't able to go because he has to work tonight, so I went by myself.  It had been kind of a cool, windy, gray day, so Lisa decided homemade soup and grilled cheese sandwiches would fit the bill.

After dinner, while everyone was sitting around visiting, Cindy taught me how to do the 9 patch quilt blocks.  These were my practice blocks.  I think I did pretty well...except when I cut a bunch the wrong direction and we had to unpick all of them and sew them back together block by block.  Ugh.  Oh well, good learning lesson!

Everytime I look at this picture, I wonder why some blocks are square and some are rectangular.  Then, I realize that this is actually four 3x3 blocks just sitting next to each other.  Once they are all sewn together, the pieces will all be the same.  Whew!

I'm excited to finish up the Scrapboffice soon so I can do some sewing.  I've been wanting to make a patchwork quilt for quite a while.  This new little technique will really come in handy!




No comments: