Friday, December 4, 2009

Bacon & Cheese Casserole Recipe

I thought I'd post this recipe because it is SO good and if anyone who does read this blog would like it (besides my BFF Shelli), here it will be. 

Now, I must say...my mom's recipe is a little different than mine only because I learned to make it for a big family and I doubt she fed all seven of us with just 3/4 of a package of noodles - well maybe she did because that's all we could afford or maybe she did because we were all super young and didn't eat much yet.  But, as I grew up and made this for roommates, husbands, or whatever, I've kind of adapted it to fit my likes and baking dishes, along with being able to have left overs for breakfast and lunch the next day (yes, I love it that much).  Yes, it seems that my ingredients are practically just double of hers, but mine are by taste mostly so I thought I'd give the original recipe and you can try it that way first and then go from there. 

So here are my mom's proportions:

1/2 pound bacon
3/4 pkg wide egg noodles
2 cans cream of chicken soup
3/4 can (soup can) milk
1 lb grated cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper

And here is my version of the ingredients:

1 lb bacon
1-1/2 to 2 pkgs wide egg noodles - I'm not really sure.  (I store all my noodles in a bucket, not in packages.  I just grab out 8-10 big handfuls)
3 to 4 cans cream of chicken soup
1 to 1-1/4 CANs of milk
1-1/2 lbs or more mild cheddar or colby cheese, grated or chunked.  Do not use pre-shredded cheese!  I'm not real sure on the amount because I just know how it should taste and I just cut off a bunch of cheese and melt it in until it tastes "right".
Salt and pepper

Dice bacon and brown until just barely crisp.  Don't burn!  Drain grease and set aside. 

While bacon is browning, boil noodles according to package instructions.  When done, drain and set aside in pot.

In a medium pot (I usually just use the same one I used for the bacon but I wipe it out a little), mix the soup, milk, and cheese until the cheese is melted. 

Pour mixture over noodles.  Add bacon.  Stir well to mix, but don't overstir as it will break up the noodles.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Bake at 350* for 20 minutes.  Let sit for at least 5-10 minutes before serving. 

Mom always served it with salad and peas.  I do too if I have frozen peas in the house (no canned peas - yuck)  Major comfort food.  YUM - O - LA.  Seriously - one of the all-time best comfort foods ever.

No comments: