Sunday, August 8, 2010

This Day is Not Starting Out Well

Today did NOT start out well.  I asked Melon Man to call me at 4 a.m. to make sure I was up and getting ready.  He forgot. 

My alarm went off at 4:30 a.m. but I was so tired that I accidentally turned it off and promptly fell back to sleep.

I finally rolled over a while later and looked at the clock and it was 5:30.  I was supposed to be at Lisa's by 6:30 in order for us to be able to make it to the airport on time for my flight.  I quickly jumped out of bed and into the shower.  Too bad I HAD to shower and HAD to wash my hair too (yeah, it was so dirty and disgustingly greasy gross).  I hurried and jumped out, got dressed, and ran to the office to throw on some make-up.  Of course, I had to check my email while I was doing that.  I was glad that I did - but not glad at what I read.

Yes, that's right.  My flight had been CANCELLED.  Not just delayed, but CANCELLED.  Huh?

So, then I read another email that said I'd been rebooked on two other flights.  One - I was still able to get a first class seat, the second flight - a 1-2 plane - one seat on one side, 2 seats on the other side. Um, yeah, NO.  NO WAY!

I called the airline and explained my horrible fear of flying on one of those tiny planes and asked what else was available.  They got me on a flight leaving around 11 a.m. and then leaving Dallas about 5 hours after I arrived there.  I'd be glad to sit around for 5 hours versus riding one of those tiny planes!

So, that's what I did.  Melon Man got home and I finished getting ready - without having to rush - and then we headed for the airport.  He sent me on my way and I was in Dallas before I knew it.  Along the way, I saw tons of beautiful clouds....

Clouds just dotting the sky.

A cloud shooting up out of the rest.

A little "mountain" of a cloud...

I thought this was looks like a crack in the ground covered in snow.

This one too!  (Well, it's actually the same "crack", just a better picture of it.)

A growing, big billowing cloud...

What an interesting looked like a bunch of dotted salt pits.

I love looking down at farmland.  It's always so very interesting to see it all plotted out in squares....

...or circles....aren't those interesting?!?!
Soon it was time for lunch.  I actually tried hummus for the first time ever.  It was not something I would "crave" or choose to buy, but I 'might' have a little some other time.
Soon, we started our approach into Dallas/Fort Worth.  It always amazes me that this place is so green (and blue).  There are all kinds of little lakes everywhere.  It's just not what I originally thought Dallas would look like.  I always imagined "brown."

These houses were huge!  And the swimming pools were everywhere too.  I guess the saying about everything in Texas being bigger is true!

I love the SkyLink train.  It's a great way to get back and forth between terminals....which I did a lot of this time due to my layover.   I just rode around and around while I tried to recover from everything else lately.

I just had to take a picture of this escalator.  It was probably the longest escalator I have ever seen.  It seemed like the escalator to heaven.

Another one of my "interesting things I saw at the airport" series....a Catholic priest watching CNN.  I bet he was hot in that robe.  I would have been!

Something else that's big in Texas....the hair.

I had dinner at this Mexican cantina in the airport.  This was pretty tasty overall, but the shrimp was probably the best I have EVER had.  There was some sort of seasoning/spice on it that just made it water in your mouth.

Soon it was time to take off again.  We got up in the air and I took this picture of downtown Dallas.  For some reason, I always thought Dallas was a lot bigger.  I guess I've just lived in the Phoenix Metro area for too's way bigger than this.

As we left the Dallas area, I couldn't help but take this picture of the sun radiating off of this lake.  Too bad there was window glare...but it's still a cool picture!

The long walk down the hotel hallway.  My room is almost all the way down on the left.

We finally landed in Columbus around 11:30 p.m.  I was SO tired.  I must have looked like death because the hotel staff just looked at me with pity.  I was so hot and sweaty from the heat and humidity.  I'd quickly put my hair up in a clippy but strands of it were falling out everywhere.  I hauled my camera bag, laptop, and two fully loaded suitcases into the elevator and then down this long hallway to my room, where I quickly unpacked and crawled into bed.  What a LONG day it was.  Ah...sleep...

No comments: